Tuesday 27 November 2007

Louis and Me - "We Two Kings"

A couple of weeks ago I bought a lovely little crib with painted figures for Louis. It will be his first Christmas so it seemed a good idea at the time. When I got home and unwrapped it I noticed one of the figures was missing. I rang the shop to explain the situation. As it's coming up to Christmas time I thought I would explain the problem in song, so I said to the owner that I had been into the shop earlier and had purchased some goods but there was a problem with them, so I said, "I'm just going to sing a song to you which will give you a clue as to the problem. There was a big pause and the woman on the other end of the phone said "Oh, right" and then discretely whispered to someone else in the shop, (I heard it so it wasn't that discrete), something like "oh dear, its going to be one of those days, I can just tell". Anyway I proceeded to take in a deep breath before singing "We two kings of orient are, bearing gifts etc., etc. After this impromptu carol, I then asked her if she had any clues about the problem with the goods I'd bought earlier? At this point she laughed, with some relief and said, "oh, yes, I remember you buying the crib this morning". She was really apologetic and said I could return the crib and a full refund would be given, but added that unfortunately this was the last crib in stock, therefore it couldn't be replaced. I asked her if she had a spare king anywhere lying around but alas none were to be found, a store full of Christmas goods, but the place was completely "kingless"! A kind friend, with artistic talents is now making a new king for Louis' crib. Thank goodness, Louis and me will be able to sing the original carol for his first Christmas now.

No comments: