Sunday 13 January 2008

Dangerous Liaisons

Do you remember
When I told you that I loved you
And nervously, with disbelief you smiled and said "I love you too"
But that just wasn't going to last
Because in every hoping will come the fading
Like the sadness in a million falling autumn leaves
Nothing ever lasts
And you knew it too
All those giggles and laughs and shared times
That seemed so very special
And in the leaving we said we'd "be in touch"
And I knew then but couldn't say it to you
What it was I felt
But don't you know just how difficult real friendship can be
That fragile pressure of commitment
And the frightening intimacy of knowing another, a comfort too close for most
While you'd rather keep on travelling on and on
Searching for it out there and not inside
When you're living that life
I wonder how you do it?
How perfected in the art of making friends you must be
In that connection
You made with me
Only to leave me with your space and disappointment
And in moments of quietness I wonder "Were you ever left too"?

No comments: